Are Slugs Dangerous to Touch?

Are Slugs Dangerous to Touch

Slugs are not a great sight to look at, and whether you have a green thumb or not, looking at one can throw you off. Slugs are slimy pests found among plants and gardens that can cause harm to plants and cause them to die. However, there have been speculations about whether slugs can be dangerous to touch and cause harm to humans. 

Touching a slug will not be dangerous to humans if they are not themselves infected. 

While slugs may appear harmless and can be touch, they carry many parasites. However, not all slugs will be infected, but most of them. Therefore, if you touch an infected slug, it can pass parasites on to you. Most common cases include slugs passing ringworm infections to humans. Hence, it is always best to take preventative measures and wear gloves if you must handle slugs. 

Are Slugs Poisonous to Humans?

While slugs are slimy and cause damage to plants, they are not poisonous to humans. These small pests do carry diseases and parasites; however, garden slugs will cause no harm. Garden slugs feed on plants, and decaying matter most, and if you ever were to consume a slug accidentally, it will not affect you. 

Slugs are not dangerous because they feed on plants. You will find slugs on leaves, eating them and causing damage to your garden. Hence, if you ever ingest a slug, you have nothing to worry about because of their clean diet. On the other hand, you may have some worrying and reparations for the plants in your garden. The only threat that slugs pose is to your garden and not to you. 

What Happens if a Slug Gets on You?

There may be times when you are working in your garden or outside, and you encounter a slug. Naturally, if a slimy pest gets on you, you will freak out.  Slugs carry diseases and parasites; however, they are not dangerous or poisonous to humans. Therefore, it is best to stay calm during this situation even if you are uncomfortable or scared.

It is important to remove the slug from your body by picking and throwing it away. Moreover, it would be best if you washed the slime off. Slugs can pass diseases to you; therefore, it is essential to clean the area and watch out for any symptoms. However, most diseases transfer because of ingesting slugs. Therefore, if a slug gets in you, you do not need to worry about any diseases. 

Are Slugs Dangerous?

While slugs are not toxic to humans, they are still dangerous. This is because slugs carry diseases, one dangerous one in particular known as the rat lungworm disease. The parasite rat lungworm is a parasite that is found in rodents and infects slugs. 

Establishing skin contact with the slug is of no worry. However, if you ingest a slug and have rat lungworm disease, it can lead to serious issues. While the disease is quite harmful, most adults have no symptoms, while some may have mild symptoms. Suppose you suspect that you have this diseases lookout for symptoms like a headache, fever, nausea, and vomiting. Therefore, it is best to keep track of your symptoms in the days following you consuming a slug. 

People who consume slugs that are infected with this parasite are at stake of contracting the disease. For example, children can sometimes eat slugs as they are curious. Moreover, many people enjoy consuming slugs in salads; they are also at risk. Mostly, people who travel often may come into contact with the diseases if it is widespread. 

Fortunately, there are some preventative measures that you can take to avoid contracting this disease. If you do prefer to eat slugs, you must never consume them raw. It is best to supervise children if they are around slugs. Also, it is important to wash fruits and vegetables thoroughly before consuming them. After you are done gardening or dealing with slugs, you must wash your hands to clear any traces of slugs. 

How Do You Remove Slug Slime from Skin?

If you have touched a slug or one has accidentally landed on you, you will be aware of the slime. So naturally, the first thing you would do when your skin feels slimy is to wash it with water. However, when you encounter a slug, you must wait for the slime to dry before washing it off. 

When the mucus dries, you must scrape it with your hand and remove most of it. Afterward, the leftover mucus must be washed away with soap and water. 

There can be times when it may become difficult to remove the dried mucous. However, you can easily remove the mucous using towel or borax powder. Sometimes, the slime along with your skin can also get on your clothes, and in this case, you can use vinegar to get it off. 

Summary 

Slugs are small garden pests that cause damage to plants. Slugs eat plants away and leave behind slimy trails. While these small pests pose a threat to gardens, they can also be harmful to humans. However, slugs are safe to touch and will not cause harm unless you ingest them. In addition, while slugs carry parasites, they will not harm you unless they are infected themselves.

 One of the most dangerous diseases which slugs carry is the rat lungworm disease. This disease can affect people who consume raw slugs and puts at-risk children and travelers too. You can prevent contracting this disease by washing your vegetables and avoid eating raw slugs.

Apart from consumption, it should not be too much of a problem if you touch a slug. However, when you encounter a slug, it will leave behind a trail of mucous. Therefore, instead of washing the mucous immediately with water, you must wait for it to dry. When the mucous dries, you can rub it off with your hand or a towel. Afterward, you can wash the remaining mucous with soap and water. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like